Labels

Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Policeman and A Poet

Premadas Iruvallur

Premadas Iruvallur has been a serving in the state police force for the last 17 years.

But, the rigours of his serious profession have not managed to keep the 43-year-old away from his passion for the written word.

The senior Civil Police Officer, working at the office of the Kozhikode City Police Commissioner, is all excited, and the reason is the film ‘Breaking News Live,’ in which Premadas makes his debut as a lyricist.

The Mollywood flick, starring Kavya Madhavan and Vineeth, is all set to hit the screens this month, and for Premadas, who has already won laurels as a painter and poet, this is another dream come true.

 “I always wished to write songs for films and be a part of mainstream cinema. Of course, I am really excited,” he gushes. The three songs penned by Premadas for ‘Breaking News Live’, the directorial debut of Sudhir Ambalappatu, have been set to music by Mohan Sithara.

Premadas’ love affair with the Malayalam language and literature began during his college days.

Even after joining the police force in 1995, he continued writing poems and sending these to vernacular newspapers and magazines for publishing.

“Several poems were published and this encouraged me a lot. I also found time to visit sets of TV serials and films, and showed my literary work to directors. Somehow, I was invited by serial director Baiju Devaraj to write the title song for the popular megaserial ‘Ente Manasaputhri’. That was my big break,” he said.

Later, he wrote songs for six telly shows and got several awards, including the Malayalam Television Viewers Association Award (MVTA).

 A recipient of the Chief Minister’s Police Medal, Premadas feels that writing poetry and painting ease the tension and stress of the job.

“Definitely, there is tension related to job and often its redundant. But, doing this kind of creative work has a refreshening effect on me. Every day morning, I practice the art by doing some drawings and writing something. People always wonder how a police man can find time for this work. But, if you have the will and lead a disciplined life, you can find enough time. More importantly, I am getting good support from higher officials, colleagues and my family,’’ he said. About future projects? Premadas hates to be in a hurry in this new track.

"I believe in doing quality work and am least concerned about the quantity. I have immense love for my mother tongue. For me, lyrical quality is important and would like to associate with such kind of projects,’’ he said.

No comments: